This is a square, a stage, a world, a life. Space is getting less and time is getting shorter. We can all make sense of this dance.
In "Split" dancers Melanie Lane and Lilian Steiner negotiate ever-diminishing dimensions of space and time. As our world contracts, the clock ticks
faster, and bodies press closer.
With delicacy and complexity, this dance revels in Lucy Guerin’s sharp, elegant, choreographic investigations, unfurling a mesmerising drama.
Featuring a musical score by UK composer Scanner, lighting design by Paul Lim and costumes by Harriet Oxley, Split is a thought-provoking
structural meditation rendered in movement, delivered by one of Australia’s most original dance companies.
“This for me is the joy of dance making, a chance to burrow into the pure elements of choreography; time, space, structure and the movement
of the human body. “
- From Lucy on the creation of Split.
Presented during Aarhus Festuge / Festival Week.
“Teeming with rage and passion, movement and complex relationships [ ... ] Split is masterfully performed.”
- The Age, Jordan Beth Vincent
“[Guerin's] choreography is always fearless, and this fascinating work is both beautiful and stark. Split showcases everything that's exciting about
dance as an art form.”
- The Music, Bryget Chrisfield
“Confident and compelling, it's another fascinating work from one of Melbourne’s leading choreographers.”
- Artshub, Richard Watts
"One of the company’s best works to date, as confirmed by a number of awards, including the 2018 Helpmann Award for Best Dancer."
- Dance Informa
"Both dancers are magnificent, totally absorbed in the work. (...) Split remains riveting from beginning to end."
- Dance Australia
“Ruminative, poignant and provocative, it is a work of intricate yet unadorned artistry.”
- The Australian, Eamonn Kelly
Awards & Nominations
- Winner of the 2018 Shirley McKechnie, Green Room Award for Choreography (Lucy Guerin)
- Winner of the 2018 Green Room Award for Concept and Realisation (Lucy Guerin)
- Winner of the 2018 Green Room Award for Ensemble, Duo or Trio (Melanie Lane and Lilian Steiner)
- Winner of the 2018 Green Room Award for Female Performer (Lilian Steiner – Year of Work – including Split)
- Winner of the 2017 Helpmann Award for Best Female Dancer in a Ballet, Dance or Physical Theatre Production – Lilian Steiner for Split
- 2017 Helpmann nomination for Choreography in a Ballet, dance or Physical Theatre Production
- 2017 Helpmann nomination for Melanie Lane and Lilian Steiner in SPLIT – Best Female Dancer in a Ballet, Dance or Physical Theatre Production